Thursday, January 26, 2012

Product Love: Maybelline Color Tattoos -24hr cream gel eyeshadows


What: Maybelline Color Tattoo 24hr Cream Gel Eyeshadows
Wallet: $7.00
Where to buy: Local drugstores
Why I’m lovin’ it:  These little babies are AMAZING!  Don’t be scared off by the word “cream” in the product title, they actually don’t crease!  Even without a primer!  The Color Tattoos come in 10 different shades ranging from neutrals to brights and they are a complete dupe for one of my favorite “higher end” products (see the comparison below for details).  I don’t use an eye primer on a daily bases, but I still want my makeup to last.  These cream eyeshadow are my primer and shadow in one, which means they are a time saver as well!  If you haven’t invested in an eye primer, go pick up a few of these in shades that you think you will use most often.  You can wear them alone or layer them under your shadows to keep them vibrant and in place all day (or night) long.

If you’ve read some of my other post, you know that I like to use my NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils as bases for some of my looks (like this one and this one).  The JEP are great BUT they do crease and you always have to use a primer with them.  When it comes to pastels or bright colored looks it is so important to have a good white base to apply the shadow to so that you get the color payoff you want from your shadows.  I usually use the JEP in “Milk”…but I have a feeling it will be replaced by the Color Tattoo in “Too Cool” once I can get my hands on it (it's been sold out everywhere)!  If it's as good as the other shades in the collection it will do everything the JEP does except for the creasing. Perfect-o!  Now if I could just get my hands on it.  The hunt continues...


Having a black base can be just as important, so good thing there's a black in this collection as well!  Check out this post to see some comparisons of shadows with and without a black base.  Major difference.


Another thing I love about this product is that it’s basically waterproof… I guess that’s why “tattoo” is in the name, huh?!  Once the color sets it doesn’t budge, even under running water.  Perfect for hot summer days or even trips to the pool or beach!  (The Color Tattoos did remove easily with an oil based makeup remover or my face wash.)


Comparison to MAC’s Paint Pots:
Like I mentioned earlier these are a complete drugstore dupe for one of my favorite, can’t live without products: MAC’s Paint Pots.  They have the same consistency, texture, blendability, pigmentation-everything is almost identical!   I use paint pots almost anytime I do an eye look on myself or clients.  They prevent creasing and create the perfect base for applying shadows to.  The down side to the MAC Paint Pots is the price tag, $17.50.  You can purchase 2 Color Tattoos for less than the price of one MAC Paint Pot!

Even the packaging is the same!  Both products come in little glass jars with black lid and basically the same size and shape.  As far as product amounts go with the MAC PPs you get .17 fl. oz. compared to 0.14 fl. oz. in the Color Tattoos.



Here’s a color comparison between MAC’s PP in “Indianwood” (which I recently used in my Leighton Meester look) and Maybelline’s Color Tattoo in “Bad to the Bronze.”  They aren't the same exact color but similar enough to use interchangeably.  So how good the color payoff is?!

Indianwood on the left and Bad to the Bronze on the right.

CONS:
  1. There is not a shade that is similar to my skin tone.  I like to use MAC’s PP in “Soft Ochre” a lot of the times just to even out the discoloration on my eyelids.  If there was a shade in the Color Tattoos that was similar I’d be a very happy camper! 
  2. Most of the colors in the range are shimmery, which isn't bad if you want shimmer all the time.  I like to use more matte colors during the day so I wish there were a few more in the collection with a matte finish. 
Over all I’m really impressed with Maybelline’s Color Tattoos.  I’m excited about getting my hands on a few of the bright colors (especially “Edgy Emerald”) that will be perfect for summer!  With my MAC PPs I tend to get a lot of basic and neutral colors because I know they will get the most use.  Snagging a few of these Color Tattoos in bright shades is a good way to add color to my collection and on the cheap! 

Do you have any recent drug store makeup finds that you love?!  Let me know what they are!

For the love of beauty and new products,
…Casey B

No comments:

Post a Comment