Monday, January 9, 2012

Winter Skin Care Tips


The winter months are definitely no fun when it comes to skin care.  Have you ever tried covering dry, flakey skin with makeup?  It’s virtually impossible, right?!  Regardless of how long I spend trying to camouflage dry, irritated skin with makeup…it only seems to emphasize the areas when it’s all said and done.  Great.

So what’s the moral of this story?  Take care of your skin and prevent dry skin at all cost!  I’ve compiled 10 products and tips I use in the winter months to keep my skin look fresh and hydrated. 

Let me also point out that I am not a licensed esthetician or a dermatologist.  This post is purely based what works for me.  If you’ve tried everything and still can’t seem to tame your skin, you can always seek professional advice.  If you live in the Columbia, SC area and are looking for an esthetician, I’d recommend Marci Delaney at m.d. Skin.  She’s amazing!  Make sure you like her facebook page so you can stay up to date on what specials she’s currently running.  Also, check out her website (themdskin.com) for full details on all the services she offers and to book your appointment.  If you make it in there tell her Casey sent you!

Now for the tips!

1.  Use a gentle cleanser

You should always use a gentle face wash regardless of the season, even more so if your skin is already irritated.  I love Cetaphil's Gentle Skin Cleanser as my everyday cleanser because it is so gentle and never dries my skin out.  It's around $12.00 at your local drug store.   

2.  Exfoliate regularly

I found these neat little disposable facial sponges at CVS for about $4.00 and they are awesome!  They have cleanser already on them, but I rinse them under warm water then apply my Cetaphil instead.  You should exfoliate on a regular basis, especially if you have dry flaky skin to help rejuvenate your skin.  How often you exfoliate depends on our skin, so start out 2 or 3 times a week and work up from there.  Check out this post to see what my favorite exfoliating product!

3.  Moisturize morning & night
I use my Kiehl's moisturizer ($16-35 at kiehls.com) in the morning under my makeup and at night if I don't have any dry patches. If I do have dry patches that's where my Cetaphil lotion comes in ($15 at your local drug store).  Cetaphil does make a facial moisturizer, but I've never tried it.  I accidently bought this lotion because I thought it was the cleanser (the packaging looks exactly the same, so be careful!) and I'm happy I did.  I use this as lotion for my body AND I spot treat dry areas on my face with it at night.  I just dab a little on the area I need and it's worked great for me!


4.  Eye cream
I love trying new eye creams, and this is my current favorite.  It's Kiehl's Creamy Eye Treatment with avocado ($27, kiehls.com).  It's super thick and creamy, but soaks in quick enough if you should need to apply it before applying makeup.  Remember never pull or tug on the skin around your eye, just pat eye creams with your ring finger.  We want to prevent wrinkles, not create them!


5.  Use toners without alcohol

LOVE this product, more about it here

6.  Exfoliate your lips

This video has a couple ways for you to take care of your lips this winter.  Just like we don't want dry flakey skin under our foundation, we need to keep our lips nice and smooth as well!  I bright lip never looks good if it's not nice and smooth!


7.  Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Swivel Stick (my favorite little secret)

For less than $5.00 this is my little miracle in stick form.  I keep it in my work bag for a hydrating touchups throughout the day. I just rub my finger on it and dab it onto dry patches if they start to become more noticeable.  It hydrates the dry skin without causing the skin to look shiny or greasy.  You'll never even know it's there!  It works great for dry lips too!   


8.  Use liquid foundations

Use any liquid foundation you like and skip the creams, powder, or mineral foundations.  I really like MAC's Face and Body foundation because it's water based and glides over dry skin perfectly.  ($32.50 at MACcosmetics.com)


9.  Skip powder

Skip powder all together if you can, as to not emphasize any dry areas.  If you need to powder, powder down the center of the face only to prevent from looking oily.


10.  Facial Mist

I love spritzing my face throughout the day for a quick pick me up.  It's so refreshing! There are tons of different ones to choose from, you can even put some water in a spray bottle and it will work just as well.  It's perfect for counteracting the drying effect the heat in your home or office can  have on your skin.

What do you do to keep your skin nice and fresh all winter long?!  Let me know, I’m always interested in new products or tips!

For the love of beauty and hydrated skin,
…Casey B

3 comments:

  1. Cetaphil is such an amazing line of products! I have super sensitive skin so i use the soap, body wash, cleanser... you name it i use it! Glad to see someone else likes it as well! The misting step is also very helpful! Merle Norman makes a light face scrub called Polished Perfection thats not too coarse but works wonderfully in the shower a few times a week for your face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try that exfoliator! Thanks Meagan!

      Delete
  2. Wow.......... I have found the exceptional designed source about complete winter skincare. As the information is really looking great about it. And the regarding products of this source are really looking just most promising to get the stunning winter skin care.

    Pharmacy Online

    ReplyDelete