Thursday, October 4, 2012

Sugar Skull Halloween Makeup



I’m back with a full on Halloween makeup tutorial!  For those of you who love elaborate makeup looks, this will be right up your alley.  That’s right people; we’re doing a sugar skull makeup tutorial!
Of course the best part of this Halloween costume is that the makeup does all the talking.  It is the focal point of the overall look which means the clothing portion of the costume is very inexpensive.  You probably already own pieces you can wear to complete this costume!

For a little back ground on sugar skulls:  Sugar skulls are little sugary-sweet candies that are sold on the days leading up to the Day of the Dead festivities (a Mexican holiday that celebrates the lives of friends and relatives who have passed away).  These little skulls are decorated with bright colorful icing, glitter, shiny foils, and even sequins!

There are millions of different sugar skull makeup looks you can create, so get creative!  Regardless of the pattern you decide to go with there a few key products that you will need:
  1. Face primer
  2. White and black face paint
  3. Translucent powder, baby powder, or white eyeshadow (to set your white face paint)
  4. Small detail brushes to create the intricate patterns
  5. Colorful cream products to create the patterns (You can use more face paints, just buy the little color set when you buy your black and white face paints!)
  6. Bright shadows to set the cream products
  7. Black liquid eyeliner
  8. Lash clue, individual rhinestones, and glitter to spruce up the look (optional)

Instructions:
  1.  The first thing you want to do is apply your face primer to ensure the look last all night long.
  2. Then apply your white face paint by using your fingers, a foundation brush, or a damp makeup sponge.
  3. Set the face paint with either a translucent powder, baby powder, or even just a white eyeshadow (which is what I did).
  4. Using your black face paint, and a small detail brush outline the black circles around your eyes.  The easiest way to do this is by following the line of your natural eye socket.  Once you have the outline, fill it in!  Use a black eyeliner to fill in the inner rim of your eyes to keep everything extra dark.
  5. Do the same thing with the shape you want to create for your nose!
  6. Set the black face paint with a black eyeshadow.  I used a blue eyeshadow along the parts of the eyes that I would normally apply my eye highlight (inner corner & center of the lids), to give the eyes a little extra dimension.
  7. Using an eyeshadow color that goes with your over all look (navy, black, you could even do reds, purples, greens—you choose!)  contour your cheek bones to give the face a little extra shape.
  8. From this point, you should be as creative as possible!  Make sure to layer your cream color products and eyeshadows to build up color and staying power to the design you create.
  9. For the lips you can draw in a pattern that looks like exposed teeth or fill in your lips using a regular lipstick.  Since I want my sugar skull to be a little more “me” I went with a bright red lip detailed with some red glitter pressed over the top.
  10. Use your black liquid liner to trace the outline of any detailed shapes to make them stand out.
  11. After you have your pattern down you can spruce up the look by adding glitter and rhinestones!  I also added some fun fake lashes for the heck of it.

Here’s my final look!




I’ve also put together an easy and inexpensive costume idea board to go with this makeup.  It’s composed of items I think a lot of you will already have and cheap craft store goodies!  Hopefully it will provide a little inspiration when you are completing your sugar skull Halloween costume!
DIY halloween costume

I hope you enjoyed this post!  This makeup was SO much fun to do, and a huge step outside of my comfort zone.  I cheated a little by making my interpretation super girly with glitter and rhinestones, but that’s how I would wear it.  If you decide to do a sugar skull makeup look for Halloween, let me know how it goes!  Post a picture on my facebook page, I’d love to see how it turned out!


For the love of beauty and skulls,
…Casey B

4 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I love your version. I did one last year for Halloween & it was so much fun. Even won a costume contest! Great work hun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, nice and awesome halloween makeup!
    I've been looking for some cool Halloween makeup ideas for this coming halloween.
    This one just gave me an idea. Cheers and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking for any awesome, scary, funny or weird Halloween Makeup ideas that me and my friends could try this year. Awesome collection of Scary Halloween Makeup ideas

    ReplyDelete