Monday, January 21, 2013

My Skin Care Routine



Last January I posted a “winter skin care tips” post which featured my top 10 products, tips, & tricks to beat winter dryness.  I still love all the products and tips I shared in that post, so instead of duplicating them I decided for this post I would tell you more about my personal skin care routine & the products I’ve been using this winter. 
Since my last “skin” post, my skin has done something it had never done before.  Around August of last year I developed acne for the first time in my life.  To make a long story short, I’ve been going to the dermatologist since then to control the acne.  I’m currently taking one oral medication and a combination of 3 different topical treatments to keep my skin as clear as possible.  I have very fair skin and it’s also more on the sensitive side, so not only am I battling skin dryness from my medications but also from the cooler air outside. 
Since adding acne medications to my skin care routine, I decided I need to be even more conscious of the products I’m using along with them. I don’t want (or need) to use moisturizers and beauty products that have extra ingredients that I don’t need in them.  One of the things I’ve been doing is looking into more natural and organic skin care products.  And I must say, so far so good! **I say “more organic” because some of the products I’m using are not 100% organic.  Eventually I hope to be using 100% all natural products but for now while I continue my research & quest to find the best ones for me, I’m using products that are within my budget, easy to find, and are at least one step closer to being all natural/organic.  Baby steps!**
Here’s my routine!
To cleanse my skin these days, I’ve been using the Neutrogena Naturals refresh cleansing + makeup remover (86% naturally derived).  At first I was only using this cleanser when I was wearing makeup (in the evenings) & using my Cetaphil in the mornings.  However, I’ve slowly started to use this one all the time.  I still LOVE my Cetaphil because it’s so gentle, but I really like how this is also a makeup remover.  Sometimes people don’t realize (or ever think about) that removing your makeup and cleansing your skin are actually two separate steps.  This product makes it a one stop shop, and it’s actually really effective at removing every trace of makeup from my face.  (Ps. I still use my Clarisonic along with this cleanser.)
After cleansing my face I always use my Boots Botanics Rosewater Toner (100% organic).  The description on the back says it’s great for people with fair and dry skin.  Ding ding ding--That would be me exactly!  It’s not like your regular alcohol based toners that dehydrate your skin even more, this one is very gentle and does not sting or burn at all.  Not even around my eyes!  I just put a little on a cotton round and sweep it across my face, concentrating on my cheeks and T-zone where I have larger pores.  It never leaves me skin feeling tight (which is never good) and I always feel like I have a nice glow after using it.
 After toning my skin is when I go ahead and apply my topical acne treatments.  I give those creams a few minutes to absorb into the skin and then I moisturize.  For this I’ve been using the Mario Badescu Rose Hips Nourishing Oil.  I know this has the word “oil” in it, but don’t be afraid.  Adding the right oils onto your skin is actually really good for it!  Especially dry dehydrated skin that a lot of us experience in the winter. Even though this is an oil, it is not greasy at all.  It has the consistency of water and quickly absorbs into the skin.  The product is dispensed through a dropper top so it’s very easy to use and to control the amount of product you are getting out of the bottle.  It’s been a life saver for me and my flakey patches.  At night time use a few drops of this on the areas I tend to get dry skin (around my mouth, chin, and nose) and during the day I mix a few drops into my cream moisturizer before applying it. (For a 100% organic option you can purchase pure rosehip oil, and it’s cheaper!  This is what I’ll be doing next instead of repurchasing this one.)  Rosehip oil is also known to be good for fading scarring which will help with the acne scars and hyperpigmentation I’ve recently developed.

The cream moisturizer I’m currently using (still) is the La Roche-Posay Anthelios SX SPF 15 Daily Moisturizer.  This is not an organic or natural product BUT it has been really good for my skin, and I love the fact that it has the sunscreen I need in it.  When I run out (which will be soon) I am going to try a natural moisturizer option that I have my eye on.  I don’t use this at night with my rosehips oil because I do not need the extra ingredients on my skin while I sleep.
I want to keep my skin care routine as simple and natural as possible and my goal is to be on an all organic/natural regimen as soon as possible.  I’m still learning and researching because sometimes labels and product packaging can be deceiving.  Also if you are looking into purchasing organic products, it’s important to remember they have a shorter self-life than nonorganic products because they do not contain all the preservatives.  Just keep that in mind and remember to check the dates, color, and even smells of the products you are using.
For more information on the why some products use the term “natural” instead of “organic” check this out.
Does this interest any of you?  If you are currently using any all natural or organic beauty products let me know in the comments below.  I’m still on the hunt so I’m interested to hear what works for you!

Here are a few more natural or organic skin care lines that incase you are interested in checking them out:
Burt's Bees
Juice Beauty
Lush
Boots Organics
Dr. Hauschka
Kiss My Face
Alba Botanica 
For the love of beauty & going green,
…Casey B

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting skin care routine related info . I was looking for this info all over the web.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Kiss my Face sunscreen moisturizer !! It is awesome :) love skin care posts :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing such an interesting post.this is the first time I visit your blog ,it's wonderful.Waiting for more interesting post on skin care treatment in future...


    Skin Treatment in Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want to be able to learn more about this treatment Acne Scar Treatment Delhi then you can at http://www.skindelhi.com/acne_scar.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing information

    The VLCC Skin Care and Skin Treatments range of services is all about improving the wellness of your skin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice blog

    We believe it’s never too late or too early to begin taking care of your skin Our cosmetological solutions have been developed keeping in mind the general needs of your skin as well as the various problems that could possibly affect it.

    ReplyDelete