Thursday, January 10, 2013

Save or Splurge?

 To save or to splurge…isn’t that always the question?!  As most of you know I really believe you can find good quality beauty products in the drugstore. And I know I’m not the only one who thinks so.  Bloggers & YouTubers everywhere spend tons of time doing “drugstore hauls” and “drugstore dupes” video/ post.  Which brings up the question, “If the drugstore products are so good, why would you ever spend the extra money on a high-end product?”  Because my friends, sometimes you really do get what you pay for. (I know, it sucks.)
I’ve been thinking about this topic a lot and I decided to make a list of products that I would (personally) tend to save & splurge on.  Remember everyone’s different and will have their own opinions, so take it for what you will.  But I will say, I’ve played with lots of makeup…
For the record my definition of splurging (for today) means you would not find the product at CVS or any other drugstore.  It doesn’t necessarily mean it will cost you an arm and a leg (a little good news!)
I’m going to start with my list of splurges because I believe if you splurge on some things, you can save on others.
-SPLURGE-
Face and Eye Primers
  Having a good base for you face and eye products is the best way to keep your makeup in place all day long.  A good quality primer is also the perfect way to get the most "bang for your buck" when it comes to the products you apply over top -- drugstore OR high-end.  (Faves: Benefit’s The POREfessional and Urban Decay’s Primer Potion)

Concealers
For covering spots I always go back to my MAC Select Cover-Up.  I’ve found that my drugstore concealers have decent coverage but are never moisturizing enough throughout the day.  I need coverage AND moisture otherwise it becomes flaky (and not cute).

Makeup Brushes
I can’t stress this enough! Having good quality brushes makes all the difference in the world with your makeup application and overall look, regardless of the product you are using.  Also keep in mind if you take good care of your brushes, they’ll last you forever.  Every girl needs a good set of makeup brushes!

Lipsticks
Yes, you can find great drugstore lipsticks.  However, I reach for my high-end ones all the time.  They just feel better on the lips, last longer, and wear off more evenly.

Bronzers
This is a pet peeve of mine but I think bronzers should have ZERO shimmer in them.  They should be absolutely matte.  Trying to find a matte bronzer in the drugstore, that’s light enough for fair skin isn’t easy.  My solution is to splurge on one that I know I will love, but more importantly will not turn me into an orange disco ball. (My fave: The Balm’s Bahama Mama Bronzer)

Brow Pencils
I have light blonde eyebrows to begin with, so I always use the lightest brow pencil from any collection.  I find it really hard to find a brow pencil in the drugstore that applies without red in it.  There should never be a hint of red in your brow color.  That’s the #1 indicator they aren’t natural.  So splurge, especially if you have lighter brows to begin with. (My current fave: Anastasia Brow Wiz in Ash Blonde)

-SAVE-

Mascara
You could easily spend up to $30 on high end mascaras.  $30?!  Ummm...no ma’am.   Thankfully I’ve tried these outrageously expensive, high-end brands without spending a dime to do so (thank you BirchBox and makeup counter samples!).  For that amount of money I expected these mascaras to turn my natural lashes into fake-looking, long, voluminous, "OMG those are your real lashes?!" lashes.  If your lashes need a lot of work, then you just need a good pair of falsies.  Not an overpriced mascara.  (My fav: Maybelline the Falsies)

Eyelashes
Why spend $16 for MAC lashes when you can buy Ardell’s for $4?!  They are just as good, just as reusable, and they have just as big of a variety of styles.  PLUS they are more accessible.

Lip Gloss
Yep, I think you should splurge on lipsticks but not lip glosses.  The drugstore is full of great, great lip glosses.  (My faves: Revlon Super Lustrous Lipgloss & many more)

Nail Polishes
It only took one time for me to give up on high end nail polishes.  It was after a $16 “holy grail” polish chipped on me after only a few hours.  I then quickly decided that if I was going to be spending that much for my nails, I wasn’t going to be doing them myself.  I could almost get a professional manicure for that amount of money! (my faves: Wet N Wild Megalast  & Sally Hansen’s Manicure in a Bottle)

Blushes
Some products really make a huge difference to your makeup look.  For me it’s mascara, brow products, and blush.  Luckily you don’t have to spend a lot to get great quality blushes! I do love some of my more expensive blushes, but they really aren’t necessary.  I leave my $3 ELF blush in Pink Passion on top of my vanity for daily use.

Eyeshadow
I’m not gonna lie, I do love splurging on eyeshadows.  I love to try out the newest palettes and formulas…they just get me every time.  But I really do think you can find great eye products in the drug store, especially if you purchase a good quality primer and brushes.  So if you had extra money to spend, I would say to buy some other things first then splurge on the shadows later.

Some of you may be thinking, “What about foundation?!?!”  That’s a good question.  I tend to lean towards if you have a good quality concealer and primer, you can get away with spending less on a foundation.  Personally I use my $5 Rimmel Clean Finish foundation over all my others--but my wants from a foundation could be different than yours.  It’s also important to remember everyone’s skin is different, so what works for may not even come close to working for you.  With that being said, when it comes to foundations I could see it either way: spend OR splurge.  It’s up to you!

What are some of your save versus splurge beauty products?!
For the love of beauty, spending & splurging,
…Casey B

No comments:

Post a Comment